On 6th June Pete and Jon went to a free Cyber Security Forum organised by ASCCA as part of National Cyber Security Awareness Week. There were guest speakers from the Commonwealth Bank, the Australian Federal Police (AFP), and Microsoft, followed by questions from the audience.
The AFP speaker handed out a useful booklet called Protecting Yourself Online – What Everyone Needs to Know. It’s published by the Australian Government and has simple tips on how to protect yourself online.
- install security software and update it regularly
- turn on automatic updates so all your software receives the latest fixes
- set a strong password and change it at least twice a year
- stop and think before you click on links or attachments
- stop and think before you share any personal financial information – about you, your friends or family
- know what your children are doing online – make sure they know how to stay safe and encourage them to report anything suspicious.
Pete is going to try to get more copies for interested members of our Club, and it’s also available online at http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/ .
The Microsoft speaker emphasises that you should have the latest web browser software and download all the latest updates to protect yourself. He recommended going to www.microsoft.com/security .
The Commonwealth Bank speaker said the Commonwealth Bank Netbank website is very secure and has never been successfully attacked. He also recommended that you use strong passwords and be very careful where you go online to access personal financial information. He said make sure you cover your hand when entering your PIN into an ATM, and do not disclose your netbank password and PIN to anyone including your loved ones.
Another tip, in response to a question, was not to find software by doing a Google search; instead, go to a reputable download site such as www.download.cnet.com or www.tucows.com to review software, including freeware, and download safely.
It was a very interesting seminar with lots of lively questions and informative answers.